Posted by: Cheryl Branche | 22nd Jun, 2012

Two Medical Libraries in Boston

Recently, I met my brother in Boston for a few days. In addition to the usual fun and games, I took the opportunity to visit the Museum of the History of Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital, Treadwell Library of the Massachusetts General Hospital and the Countway Library of Medicine affiliated with Harvard.

The museum was interesting and full of interesting topics.  The death mask of Carl Maria von Weber was there.  His brain, they say, was important.  The Phrenological Society found several significant prominences in his skull that suggested his brain was enlarged in several areas…

At the Treadwell, I met with a medical secretary turned medical librarian, who was very generous and filled with interesting answers to my questions about the types of medical librarians at Treadwell and their roles and duties.  I got so engrossed in the conversation I forgot to request a tour.

At Countway, I met the circulation librarian, who was more than helpful with answers to my questions about the role of networking.  She was very enthusiastic about her work and, too, was generous with her answers.  She suggested that I speak with Dr. Osterbur, who was generous enough to see me, answer my questions-all on the spur of the moment.  He even invited me to view the displays of the museum that were scattered around the library.  A couple of texts broke the rhythm of the chat…and I was off to another event.

The rarefied air of high acedemia was evident in these two libraries.  I wondered if I would like to work at either of them and decided that I should a tour of each place first.

Categories